Monday 1 November 2010

Banksy stitching up on copyright

the maid


stitching detail

flower bomber




stitching detail


Completed Nov 2009 (approx 10 weeks work)
Finished size 25"x25"(each)

I did try to get permission to be able to do these commercially but Banksy's agent said no!  So they sit on my lounge wall - I enjoy them!

It is an interesting argument tho!  Street art cannot be copyrighted, and the images are the intellectual property of Banksy - that I have no argument with!  I have been given to understand that Banksy doesn't grant copyright licenses.  He himself has said he doesn't believe in copyright -



(from the front of Banksy's Wall & Piece),  I can't reproduce these commercially but the markets and street sellers around Brighton & Worthing sell prints of Banksy's work by their hundreds - maybe the secret is in the not asking, just do it!



Home Sweet Home, Banksy's Bristol, The Unofficial Guide by Steve Wright, says

he is not claiming copyright but producing for profit images that are "the intellectual property of the artist known as Banksy"!

Any further explanations greatly received!

9 comments:

  1. Would love to do the maid cross stitch, where did you get the pattern from?! It looks great on your wall with the other piece :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry - only just seen yr post! I made the pattern using cross stitch software from a pic. I use macstitch but it also needs quite a bit of editing once it has been imported.

      Delete
  2. Hey i love it!
    Is there a chance you could send the pattern on my email?
    Aniakru780@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi..sorry to ask so much but that piece is amazing!
      Could you please send me the pattern of Banksy Terrorist piece in Cross Stitch?
      Thank you tons
      Giselle
      giselleortegag@gmail.com

      Delete
  3. Hi..sorry to ask so much but that piece is amazing!
    Could you please send me the pattern?
    Thank you tons
    Giselle
    giselleortegag@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! It's so beautiful! Would you mind sending me the flower bomber pattern? alice.nancy@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are incredible! Could you please send me the maid pattern? Thank you
    Gspencer8@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi, you are incredible! Could you please send me the bomber pattern? bibime@gmx.at
    thanks a lot!!

    ReplyDelete